Subject: Re: Two Questions...
From: John Croteau
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 02:52:02 +0100

Hi David,

> 1) I am interested in placing some bitmap images in a flash movie. My question is
> what format is best to import as (gif, jpeg, bmp, etc) with size being the greatest
> concern? I seem to remember reading something about Flash not accepting jpg
> compression or something like that.

Originals that are uncompressed or losslessly compressed are the best:
BMP or
an PNG (Flash 3)
or PICT file on the Mac

Poorer choices are JPEG (.jpg) which is always compressed with visual
loss
and GIF where colors are compressed/limited to max of
256.

For best results originals should not be compressed with any lossy
scheme (jgp and gif for example) before importing into Flash.

> 2) Ok, I really need DETAILS on this puppy...I have seen several sites
> which use a mouseover event to display other graphics. This seems to be different
> than simply the OVER frame when creating a button.
The whole canvas is open to special graphics in the OVER (as well as UP
and DOWN) positions of a button. See MM TechNote 12632 Rollover in one
area of the movie effects another area of the movie. Direct link to this
tech note under Buttons at the Flash Tech Resource
http://www.FlashCentral.com/tech/ Several other articles on advanced
uses of buttons are also available.