Subject: Re: Follow-up to nightmare (troy)
From: Troy Bennet
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 08:12:40 +0100

> Hi Tony,
>
> Re: http://espritmillennium.ml.org/work/Esprit/ (Note, no
> quotes in URL)
>
> I am unable to see your site.
> The MIME is not set on your Server, I see a blank black picture on both
> Netscape 3 and 4.
>
> Two, my internet connection to you is very slow, I have some spinning
> The file size must be huge combined with a slow connection, thus nothing
> of use.

> Sorry, I can't be more help, please repost with verbal details (and file
> size(s)).
> Note, someone else may get a good connection to your site and be able to
> help.

John,

thanks for trying to get to my site.
I will try to set the mime type for
the NT box ASAP. Any one have any hints
on how to do this for NT?

Connection speed to the temp server is indeed
slow. This of course depends upon traffic/time of day.
I typically can connect with a 14.4k w/compression at
about 1.7k/sec. This went down to 700 bytes this evening.
My apologies to all.

Once you pass the sniff page, you land on the spinning
load animation. File size is 90k + ~1000 bytes for the
parent loader movie. The loading anim and intro movie
were indeed constructed at the 550 x 400 standard size.
I had to resize to 800x400 inorder to get it to play nice
with the loader movie which persists throughout the entire site.
I centered and masked it to appear to be of standard size/shape.

once the intro movie ends, an action frame unloads the intro on level #1
and loads a welcome screen movie (2k) back into level #1 with a
navigation device into level #2 (25k)

The navigation device buttons each unload level #1 and replace it with
a main section of the site. The only one on-line is essays.
Pressing the essay button loads essay.swf (~140k) into level #1,
background sound loop (145k) into level #3, and nav device stays in level #2.

does that all make any sense?

Now, the problems that I am having could be related to the MIME type not
being set on the server. problems include:

1. Netscape 4 (mac) crashes with a type 10 or 3 when I try a Get URL hop.
no problem with the G3, just the student cluster macs 9600/200's
This is why I'm doing the Load Movie thing.

2. Most recently, since switching to final release Demo of Flash 3 I have
had movies up and disappear from levels (netscape 4 mac)

> To turn off the Grid goto Modify > Movie and unclick show grid.

3. In Flash I know how to turn on and off the grid, what I want to do is
bring it to the TOP layer so I can use it. If I have a background bitmap
that fills the stage, I can't see the grid. A work around is to turn off
half a dozen layers, but I need to align stuff in accordance with the background
bitmap!

Thanks for trying John. Might you give it another go if traffic speed is better?
90k isn't THAT big is it? Sound, bloody sound is the bandwith sponge!

troyb