Subject: Re: FLASH: Giving out source files
From: Russell E. Unger
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 05:25:28 +0100

Hehe...Here we go... :)

>Sorry to jump the gun a little on ya there Russ,

Not in the least; I'm sure that you and I (and JC) aren't the only ones with
varying opinions on all of this.

You bring up very valid points, and I do not dispute them; not in the least.

My only *real* point about this, I suppose, is that I do it differently than
you and I do it with purpose very much in mind.

Again, not to say that I think your way is right. To cross the line a
little, I like it that you actually do your work that way. While we can
debate the Source/Art issue all day long, I'll not sweat that fact--I'll
just say that I think we both are right on certain aspects and that I think
both of us probably drastically disagree on some of the others. Asi es la
vida...This doesn't take away from any of my respect for you as a
professional, etc. I'm sure it makes you think I'm a bit kooky, and that's
cool, too.

The contracts that I/we use all state clearly that we provide a users guide,
a standards guide and other very explicit information--ranging from the
(yes, it's there) usage of original artwork (that means no ripping off my
ultra-cool buttons) for other means and understanding that if the client
chooses to have an outside agency work on the project after the source is
given up, they will *not* be held harmless should anything legal ensue.
That usually catches the eye of their attorney, but they also understand
what they are getting in return, and it's generally a service beyond most
other consultant-types.

>I though your reply was a little to black and white not to respond.
>Artist/Developer/creative/whatever, it doesnt matter. You own the rights to
whatever you
>create.

Yes and no, from my perspective. I won't reiterate too much, but I'll say a
couple of things. First, you were right about my post...a little too black
and white. Agreed. Next, I think I own the rights to what I create, but to
certain limitations. So long as I am able to showcase my work and I use
content that is (in general) all from the client, I consider the piece
theirs, with parts of the whole being mine, and therefor feel less
"attachment" to it.

BUT, that's just me.

>Again, professionals sell the rights to _USE_ the art, not the property
itself. There is no
>reason to
>issue the source files to a client. And you are right, this should be
detailed in the
>contract.

Certainly. The Art. JC will tell you that it applies to the "Code", but I
also protect myself and state that if alterations are made that they must be
noted so that the original piece can still stand to my credit, etc.

>I have not seen any of these important details outlined on any of the
online contracts
>posted to this list yet.

I won't/cannot post *those* contracts here. LOTS of monies and time have
been spent with attorneys ensuring that these read "just so" so that I keep
myself sane and in the clear with it.

>Distribution of FLA files not only give edit ability to your graphics, they
reveal your
>schematics signature.
>A client can use your hard worked schematics for their own templates.
>I stick to the traditional artist/illustrator model simply because theres
no reason not to.

Now here, I start to see more of your side, and this has definitely given me
something to consider. However, when you get a little more detailed, it is
sometimes difficult to keep some of the work "hidden".

Perhaps an options is for me to add an addendum to my contracts stating
something to the likes of "Source is given for the use of this project
alone..." blah blah blah...rip me off and I can sue you, etc.

That'll be hard to track, but I generally keep very healthy relationships
with the clients.

>The
>paradigm shouldnt change, only the way it is used. I stick to these ethical
guidelines
>because they are
>supported by thousands of seasoned professionals and have been since the
dawn of
>professional freelance practices.

Now, here I can say that I further agree with you, and I'd further agree
that others who might be relatively unseasoned follow these. It would be
much easier to find information for those practices and give a person a bit
more leverage/ground to stand on. Makes sense to me.

>Unfortunately the internet has given rise to false identities. These
identities are
>exploited by these uneducated practices
>however.

And they hurt us all, regardless of which line of thinking we take.

>The intended use of the design, the price, and terms of sale should be
clearly stated in the
>contract, PO, or agreement letter.
>If the design is to be used for anything other than its original purpose,
the price is
>usually negotiable as soon as possible.
>The secondary use of the design.may be of greater value than the primary
use. This can
>increase the price anywhere from
>50 to 100% of the fee that would have been charged had the work original
been commissioned
>for the anticipated usage.

I think this falls into somewhat of a grey area and would be pretty hard to
track, but I see your meaning and understand the usefulness...I just think
it's a tough one to track.

>The USE of design always influences the price. If the design is to be
featured over an
>extensive area or is an "all-rights/buyout"
>sale fees are usually significantly higher than when used locally or within
a selected area.

This, I think, would just cause more explanation than necessary, on *my*
part...and it also makes me feel that you are perhaps more of an artist than
I am. In the ART sense of the word.

RE: Comps: I think we are pretty much in aggreeance on that point, in all
honesty. Kinda cool, actually. PLUS, there's nothing better than being
able to repurpose and "unselected" comp, too!

Good thread.

Russ