Subject: Re: UKNM: Urban Fetch - now in the UK
From: Speechrad
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:49:46 +0100

In a message dated 16/06/00 11:27:46 GMT Daylight Time, SDeanatScient [dot] com
writes:

<< We may be better at online banking than the US but there's one thing
that's
been missing.

As an avid user of Kozmo and Urbanfetch whilst in New York this is one of
the things that could revolutionise (like ADSL) the way you use the
Internet.

http://www.urbanfetch.co.uk/

One hour delivery of many many things in London. Other people have tried to
do it but... >>

Apparently no on-line bank has ever made a profit and most financial experts
say it can't ever be profitable. I'm not sure about the 'ever' business but

Us experience is not good.
urbanfetch, etc. might be impressing some people, although it's hardly much
more than an extension of 'dial a pizza'. Good business concept though, and
this may well be where some of the biggest internet successes will be found,
not in revolutionary new concepts but in extending an established concept a
few millimeters into cyberspace.

What would be nice is if they could extend some of these services into rural
Worcestershire. It's a pity that at present many of the greatest benefits of
this international phenomenon are largely available to customers who live
just down the road from the service - ADSL, cable, 1 hour delivery and 'new
economy' jobs are concentrated in London.

One can understand the economic argument and I love living where I do. I
have
the skills to exploit the technology as a business from here but miss many
opportunities as a consumer. I can live with that and I'm not moaning on my
behalf but what of the 'rural economy'? We need to give all those poor fox
hunting people something to take their minds off their unfortunate loss you
know.

Perhaps the government could compel BT to roll out the 'virtual hunt' to the
countryside ;)

Michael