Digital Mission Blog
It’s almost time for us to head off to the bright lights of New York City, but before we do, there’s just time to let you know who’s coming and what we’ll be doing.
This year, we have a very impressive list of start-ups and agencies joining us
- Coull is a technology company that's reinventing the way online video advertising works.
- Easyfundraising has been at the forefront of developing technology platforms that harness the power of customer loyalty to generate donations for good causes across the globe.
- Ensygnia have a patented Onescan app and platform creates a trusted environment for users to share a verified identity as well as personal and financial details.
- FutureHealthcare NI has developed an Innovative Web Application to improve Access and Co-ordination of Care to save Hospitals Time and Money and Improve Patient Safety and Patient Experience.
- Here and Now 365 is UK's premier multicultural marketing agency, bringing our clients products and campaigns to their target audience in a creative and influential manner.
- Hiyalife is a place to collect, contribute and share the stories of your life, together with the people and brands that you love.
- Livepetitions gives everyone the chance to edit petitions and to collect signatures for national, international and local petitions.
- Nerv is a specialist creative agency that helps clients understand, adapt to and compete in the digital and mobile economy.
- Pitch’d is a web platform that makes it easy to run eye-popping social photo & video challenges.
- Regroup Media is a London-based digital marketing agency committed to helping our clients define and action strategy for growth in the digital domain.
- Screenburn is a Facebook Video on Demand platform enabling the sale of film, TV and other video content from a Facebook page to aid in finding new fans and increasing distribution of video content.
- Southerly is a creative content agency that designs content marketing and social media strategies that increase your customer loyalty, promote your brand and, ultimately increase your sales.
- State is a global opinion network; a platform that allows anyone, anywhere, to State an opinion quickly about any topic, see where they stand, and make new discoveries based on their opinion network.
- ThankSocial manages the social media accounts of both B2B and B2C businesses. Businesses choose ThankSocial because they don’t have the expertise or budget to employ a dedicated specialist in social media.
- Three Sparks Global provides a SaaS platform that helps companies persuade top talent to join their organizations by re-engineering online recruitment with a mobile first approach.
Tonight (12/02/14) kicks off proceedings with the pre mission briefing, hosted by our partners Fried Frank. A meeting of missionaries, their chance to practice their pitch and an agenda run through before we jet off.
Monday 17th Feb
And it’s off to the Big Apple we go! The whole of Monday is ours, to explore, buy our I heart NY t-shirts or just sleep off our jetlag…until 6pm that is. In the evening we have some informal drinks to welcome everyone to the Big Apple, before heading over to the SMW Opening Party hosted by Crowdcentric, an excellent opportunity for our missionaries to mingle with some influential characters in the NY digital scene.
Tuesday 18th Feb
Tuesday morning is free for companies to immerse themselves in any Social Media Week events they wish before the company visits in the afternoon.
Our first visit is to Digital Dumbo a company dedicated to connecting those influencers and businesses that are changing the world through technology.
Later on Tuesday we have a visit to Huge, a digital agency that provides business strategy, design, marketing and technology services to businesses and brands.
Wednesday 19th Feb
Wednesday morning will be another free morning for any SMW events our missionaries (and us) wish to attend. After which, we’ll be attending the Tackling Business Development in USA: Roundtable with Atlantic Leap session. This session will focus on business development in the USA with speakers from Atlantic Leap and Massive Interactive Inc.
The afternoon will consist of a tour of The Fueled Collective, a working space for NYC’s hottest startups with a shared love of plush leather couches, impeccably designed conference rooms and ping pong tournaments. We won’t even mention the free snack bar.
We’ll then be visiting Four Square at their offices, a free app that allows you to share and save the places you visit and recommendations of where to visit. During the visit to the space the mission group will hear from some of the members of Foursquare who will be able to speak of the challenges and opportunities of having a company running from various cities as well as a Q & A session and tour of the office.
Thursday 20th Feb
A compulsory session hosted by UKTI on 'Doing Business in the USA’, which will look at recruitment, tax, legal and the rest of the information our missionaries will need for taking their business overseas. As well as this there’ll be the opportunity to hear from UK companies who have already taken the plunge and successfully expanded their business to the US.
This will lead onto the evening UKTI NY Networking Reception held at the British Consulate. A networking event for all the Digital Mission delegates and a chance for companies to showcase their expertise as well as giving them the chance to make essential connections in an industry and market that thrives on networking and referrals.
Friday 21st February
An informal investment roundtable session focusing on the US investment scene, will be held on Friday morning with speakers Michael Goodman and Ken Harrell from Pharus as well as Frank Kelcz from UKTI.
After this, 500 startups, a company that provides early stage companies with funding, mentors and accelerator programs to help them find success, will be opening up their offices to give us a tour.
We’ll then be heading to Bloomberg NYC where delegates will be given the opportunity to hear from members of the Bloomberg NYC team as well as take a tour of the spaces.
Later is the BBDO company visit. BBDO is the world's most awarded advertising agency and delegates will be given the opportunity to take a look round and hear from members of the BBDO NYC team.
And finally, is the SMW Official Closing Party which all delegates have access to, to network further and of course enjoy some well deserved drinks before we bid farewell to the Big Apple and head homeward bound.
Photo (cc) Mirko Eggert.
Thinking of tackling the US market? Have existing clients and need to open an office in the Big Apple? Need to boost your profile in the States?
The trip, designed specifically for UK-based digital firms to understand the opportunities and challenges of developing business and investment in the US includes a dedicated programme of activities and an Insider Pass for SMWNYC.
And in even better news, our friends at UKTI London have secured grants for London-based SMEs.
Kicking off with a pre-mission briefing in the UK, the trip includes Doing Business in the USA briefing covering legal, tax, industry trends and real-life stories from successful ex-pats. Mission companies will have the opportunity to pitch at an exclusive VIP reception organised by the British Consulate in NYC plus company visits, co-working tours.
Social Media Week in NYC includes over 150 events with the HQ hub featuring keynotes from Upworthy CEO, Eli Pariser, Jonah Peretti Buzzfeed Founder and renowned author Douglas Rushkoff with more from MTV, L’Oreal, Huffington Post, Zynga, New York Times, Mindshare, PHD, Nokia amongst many others. The venues also includes three floors of speakers, masterclasses, installations and co-working space.
Prices start from just £699 (include SMWNYC Insider Pass, value $399) with London-based SMEs able to apply for a £500 travel/accommodation grant. Alternative SME grants may be available in other regions and we’ll facilitate introductions to local UKTI representatives.
missionchinwag [dot] com (Drop us a line) if you’ve got any queries.
For all the latest updates on the Digital Mission check out the DM NYC 14 Page here
Some say the streets of New York are paved with gold. That may not be true, but it is the place to start international expansion. The ever popular Digital Mission is back and will be taking start-ups, small agencies and digital companies across the Atlantic to conincide with Social Media Week NYC. (17th-21st Feb)
To make the cut your company needs to be innovative, UK headquartered, have two years’ trading history (or have compelling early-stage fast-track potential), and are ready to dive into US business.
The most important part of the application process is your elevator pitch, it will come in handy to have that nailed down when you get to meet the heavyweights in NYC. If you want some tips on how to give a quick pitch check out Digital Mission Alum Kate Jackson’s literal elevator pitch right here.
The week will include:
- SMWNYC Insider pass
- Exclusive Meet & Greets, Mixers and Events
- More to be announced
Photo (cc) Gache Wurzn.
Registrations are open for Multi-Platform App Developer Mission to Silicon Valley 17-21 June 2013.
This is the third mission hosted by UKTI and is designed to help B2B or B2C Companies with Mobile App Strategies.
Applications close on May 17, for more information and to apply click here.
Send your best developer to San Francisco to learn from the best and showcase your app during this week long mission of master classes, workshops, and a hackathon.
These tech-talks will be specifically tailored for technical architects or developers of already launched business-to-consumer or business-to-business mobile apps.
The trip costs £1020 (50% discount available to first time OMIS subscribers)
Mission Activities will Include:
- A pre-departure webinar to discuss Mission goals and objectives
- Four days of meetings and master classes with strategists and evangelists from:
- Multi-platform tools such as PayPal, Mozilla, and Adobe
- B2B strategies such as Mashery and Box
- B2C strategies such as Netflix and Kindle
- Platforms, Operators, and devices such as Sony and Samsung
- Demonstration stand at networking event to showcase your app(s) to Silicon Valley press and potential partners
- Participation in a hackathon
How to Apply
Follow this link. Registration closes on May 17 and all delegates will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Photo (cc) Nouhailler.
Government backed IC tomorrow, part of the Technology Strategy has launched its latest competition, Digital Innovation Contest 2013, with up to 7 awards of £25,000 up for grabs.
Backed by HarperCollins, Constable & Robinson, MediaCom, Ogilvy Mather UK Group and JCDecaux, FremantleMedia UK, Samsung, and YouTube, it focuses on media, publishing, mobile content and outdoor media.
Entries in this competition should focus on the challenges set out by IC tomorrow's partners, according to their website:
- Beyond the eBook, in partnership with HarperCollins
- Social and recommendation, in partnership with Constable & Robinson
- Next generation location specific advertising, in partnership with MediaCom
- Innovation in digital out-of-home advertising for brands and advertisers, in partnership with Ogilvy Mather UK Group and JCDecaux
- Enhanced digital content, in partnership with FremantleMedia UK
- Developing the TV, in partnership with Samsung
- Exploring mobile-influenced content, in partnership with YouTube
IC tomorrow and TSB competitions are always worth taking a look at, despite the paperwork the funding comes with few strings with participants keeping hold of the IP with market access through partners,
"In addition to the £25,000 of funding, winners of the ‘Digital Innovation Contest 2013’ will retain their intellectual property and benefit from the valuable opportunity to establish an early customer for their new technology, by running a minimum three-month trial with the relevant contest partner."
Deadline for submissions to the contest is 12 noon, Wednesday 24 April and be warned, they're strict with deadlines.
Photo (cc) Mark Cridge.